Published January 10, 2024
Excessive dilation of facial pores is a very common skin problem that gives the skin an uneven, imperfect appearance. Its causes are many and varied, including excess sebum, the accumulation of dead skin cells, and aging skin. Fortunately, there are ways to tighten dilated pores so you can enjoy smoother skin and a radiant complexion.
WHAT ARE THE PORES ON YOUR FACE FOR?
Pores are microscopic openings on the skin's surface. They occur all over the body but are more visible on the face. Pores ensure the evacuation and distribution of substances like sweat and sebum on the skin's surface.
Pilosebaceous pores are the most common, and each exists in conjunction with a hair. They contain sebaceous glands, which produce sebum, the oily substance that moisturizes and lubricates our skin and hair.
Sweat gland pores release sweat to regulate body temperature.
WHY DO WE GET DILATED PORES?
Pores are “dilated” when their diameter and volume increase, thus making them more visible. This can be caused by several things:
- Skin aging, which results in reduced cell renewal and the elimination of dead cells. These cells accumulate (hyperkeratosis) and block pores, making it impossible for the pores to clear. The pore swells like a balloon and can even end up completely blocked, resulting in microcysts like blackheads, pimples, or acne.
- Excessive sebum production, which combines with dead skin cells to form a plug.
- A build-up of residue or contaminants like leftover makeup or fine particles from the air. If these contaminants are not removed on a daily basis, they can also eventually clog pores completely.
- Genetic predisposition.
- A loss of elasticity in facial skin.
Generally associated with oily skin, excessive dilation of facial pores can also affect people with dry or normal skin. The following advice doesn't only apply to people with a combination to oily skin type; it can be of benefit to everyone.
TIGHTENING DILATED PORES
First and foremost, you shouldn't try to “dry out” dilated pores or be tempted to try to shrink them mechanically using scrubs, for example. This simply increases sebum secretion and makes pores even more visible.
So, to prevent the onset of these types of imperfections or to get rid of them when they're already a problem, Laboratoires FILORGA's experts recommend the following procedures and products:
- Exfoliating weekly with our SCRUB & MASK to get rid of dead cells and improve skin texture.
- Then apply our HYDRA-HYAL CREAM-GEL. It contains mastic extract, which has astringent properties that tighten pores, smooth out imperfections, and give the complexion a lasting matte finish.